Tagged: firefox Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Joe 13:48 on January 22, 2008 Permalink
    Tags: , beta, firefox, IBM, Joe Hewitt, John J. Barton, Max Stepanov, Web browser Firefox   

    Livehttpheaders for Firefox 3.0 beta 

    livehttpheaders logo

    Update: LiveHTTPheaders 0.14 has been released.

    Web browser Firefox is getting ready for a new version 3.0 – to be released soonish. Currently the second beta version has been released for testing.

    One of the add-ons (AKA extensions) that I’m using frequently, is LiveHTTPHeaders. This extension has not (yet) been ported for Firefox 3.0.

    I made a quick fix, which makes the extension working for me in Firefox 3.0.0b2. I just had to change the compatibility information and the size of the “about” tab in order to fit within its popup window.

    As long as there is no official update, and you need livehttpheaders badly, you may want to download and install my patched version: livehttpheaders-0-13-1-patched.xpi. Of course, there is no warranty (you may post bugs in the comments if you like) and you’re using the add-on at your own risk.

    Before installing, you should check the XPI’s contents so you are sure you can trust the extension.
    Tip: uncompress the XPI and the embedded livehttpheaders.jar file and check a diff against the official 0.13.1 release version.

    Update: if you need Firebug, you can install firebug 1.1 beta (Firebug 1.1 is Firebug 1.05 by Joe Hewitt with enhancements and bug fixes by John J. Barton (IBM Almaden) and Max Stepanov (aptana))

    [ratings]

     
    • wing tung Leung 21:14 on February 11, 2008 Permalink

      Thanks for the patch! I also tried increase the max version myself, but did not know how to fix the dialog box. I still don’t understand why setting the dimensions manually is needed, because it would expected XUL to scale dynamically.

      I’m running the latest nightly builds, but sadly, it seems to crash once in a while when my patched livehttpheaders is installed. Hopefully, it goes away if I add your dialog box scaling fix.

  • Joe 14:26 on June 27, 2006 Permalink
    Tags: , firefox, , , , , web server, , XMLHttpRequest   

    XMLHttpRequest and character encoding 

    The XMLHttpRequest transport method retrieves content over http, just like a regular http request from a web browser does.

    There are two result variants:
    The responseXml field holds a parsed DOM tree if the retrieved source was well formed XML
    The responseText field holds the raw source, a Javascript string basically.

    With current Firefox versions (1.5.x) this responseText string is always forced into UTF-8, regardless of the charset encoding sent by the originating web server. Thus valid ISO-8859-1 characters end up as illegible garbage in resulting Javascript string.
    This can be a problem for instance with Greasemonkey scripts targeted at a server, which uses something other than UTF-8 as encoding format.
    (More …)

     
c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
Reply
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t
Go to top
l
Go to login
h
Show/Hide help
shift + esc
Cancel

Twitter links powered by Tweet This v1.8.3, a WordPress plugin for Twitter.